Dr. John Voudouris Curriculum Vitae
Dr. John Voudouris is a Clinician, and Clinical Research Scientist. He is currently a member of the Division of Biological Sciences as Visiting Scholar, and teaches Craniofacial Growth and Development combined with Biomechanics at the Orthodontic Graduate Department, New York University, College of Dentistry, NY., 1997-2007, Associate in Dentistry Instructor, University of Toronto, Department of Orthodontics 1987-1994.
He received his Doctor of Dental Surgery, DDS, degree in 1983 and his specialty in orthodontics diploma, DOrth, in 1987 both from the University of Toronto. In 1988 he received his Master of Science, MSc(D), degree at the University of Toronto in Craniofacial Growth Modification.
Dr. Voudouris received the University of Toronto, George Hare Endodontic Scholarship in 1983.
He was awarded the University of Toronto, Department of Orthodontics, Aaron Posen Award for Clinical Excellence and Creativity in 1987, and developed the concept of Growth Relativity.
He is the recipient of the most prestigious American Association of Orthodontists research award, The Milo Hellman Research Prize in 1989, in Condylar and Glenoid Fossa Growth Remodeling and Electromyographic Interactions.
Dr. Voudouris is a full member of the Northeastern Edward H. Angle Society for the Northeastern in the United States of America, 2007.
Dr. Voudouris has been selected as a scientific reviewer for The Angle Orthodontist journal and the World Federation of Orthodontics Journal.
He is currently the President of the International Interactive Self-ligation Dentofacial Orthopedic Symposium ( ISOS 2007, attached).
He is Past President of the Toronto Orthodontic Study Club, Toronto, Ontario, Canada,
Past Director of the Home for the Aged Dental Clinic and active in a Children’s Hope Center.
Dr. Voudouris is a recognized expert internationally in the field of Dentofacial Orthopedics and Self-ligation orthodontics.
Dr. Voudouris has published the first formal textbook on Interactive Self-Ligation titled:
Excellence and Efficiency Interactive Twin Self-ligation: Orthopedic-Muscle and Gnathological Biomechanics in Clinical Orthodontics.
He has lectured extensively in several universities internationally and in the United States including Harvard University, Boston University, Tufts University, University of Connecticut, Nova Southeastern University including the French Orthodontic Society, Austrian Dental Society, Panhellenic Orthodontic Association, Association Mexicana of Maxillofacial Orthopedics, Straightwire Brazil, Columbian Orthodontic Society and the World Federation of Orthodontics. Dr. Voudouris has additionally published in the German IOK Journal 2003, the Italian Journal of Orthodontics 2004 and maintains his private orthodontic specialty practice in Toronto, Canada for over 20 years.
Dr. Voudouris additionally has published, and continues to publish several clinical and scientific journal articles on the subjects of Craniofacial growth and Interactive Self-ligation treatments.
Clinical and Scientific Publications
- Voudouris JC, Sanovic S. Neuromuscular anterior de-programming bite plane nightguard indications over flat-planed splints: Part 1/7. (accepted by the J Clin Orthod, 2007)
- Voudouris JC. Interactive Edgewise Mechanisms: Form and Function Comparison with Conventional Edgewise Appliances. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop Feb. 1997;111:119-140.
- Voudouris JC. Seven Clinical Principles of Interactive Twin Mechanisms. Journal of Clinical Orthodontics Jan. 1997; XXXI: 55-65.
- Voudouris JC, Kuftinec MM (editor). Excellence and Efficiency, Interactive Twin Self-ligation. Orthopedic-Muscle and Gnathological Biomechanics in Clinical Orthodontics. 2003 first ed., pp. 1-310, Interactive Self-ligation Dentof Orthop Publications, Toronto.
- Voudouris JC, Kuftinec MM: Improved Clinical Use of Twin Block and Herbst Appliances as a result of Radiating Viscoelastic Forces on the Condyle and Fossa in Treatment and long-term Retention: Growth Relativity. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop March 2000;117:247-266.
- Voudouris JC, Woodside DG, Altuna G, Kuftinec MM, Angelopoulos G, Bourque PJ. Condyle-fossa modifications and muscle interactions during Herbst treatment, Part 1. New technological methods. Am J Orthod Dentof Orthop June 2003;123:604-613.
- Voudouris JC, Woodside DG, Altuna G, Angelopoulos G, Bourque PJ, Yamin Lacouture C, Kuftinec MM. Condyle-fossa modifications and muscle interactions during Herbst treatment, Part 2. Results and conclusions. Am J Orthod Dentof Orthop July and Sept 2003;124:13-29.
- Voudouris JC. Glenoid fossa and condylar remodeling following progressive mandibular protrusion in the mixed dentition: a computerized, histomorphometric, cephalometric, and electromyographic investigation. Master of Science Thesis, Toronto, Ontario: Department of Orthodontics, University of Toronto, 1988.
- Sessle BJ, Woodside DG, Bourque PJ, Gurza P, Powell S, Voudouris JC, et al. Effect of functional appliances on jaw muscle activity. Am J Orthod Dentof Orthop 1990;98:222-229.
- Voudouris JC, Kuftinec MM. Ceramic interactive self-ligation (IN-OVATION-C) biocompatibility using scanning electron microscopy. (submitted to the J Cin Orthod future publication, 2007)
- Suzuki SS, Voudouris JC, Suzuki H Basting RT. Comparative Mathematical Analyses of Interactive Self-ligation and Conventional bracket systems for Orthodontic Treatment Duration (submitted to Angle Orthod, 2007).
- Voudouris JC, Schismenos CK, Kuftinec MM. Self-ligating, interactive clip coating stability and frictional resistance in aesthetic brackets (submitted to the Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop, 2007)
John Voudouris DDS, DOrth, MSc(D) President, International Interactive Self-ligation and Dentofacial Orthopedics Symposium, 2007.